Once again, I’ve made a list of books I’d like to read in the coming year. 2014 is going to be a big year. . . not sure how that will affect my reading. I have found, however, that reading helps keep me sane, so maybe I will be reading MORE this year!
Recommended Novels from Bauer’s The Well-Educated Mind:
- Mrs. Dalloway– Woolf. Finished 2/13/14. Ok.
- The Trial– Kafka Finished 5/25/14. Meh.
- Native Son– Wright Chose not to finish 7/3/14. Reading about murder while I have young children is not a good idea. Maybe I will come back to this. Maybe not.
- The Stranger- Camus Finished 9/7/14. Short and somewhat interesting.
- 1984– Orwell Finished 3/7/14. Fascinating.
- Invisible Man– Ellison Finished 8/9/14. Intriguing.
- Seize the Day– Bellow Finished 7/13/14. Ok.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude– Marquez – Finished 1/27/14. Not a huge fan.
- If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler– Calvino Finished 7/16/14. Puzzling.
- Song of Solomon– Morrison Finished 9/5/14. Preferred this to Beloved.
- White Noise– Delillo Finished 5/24/14. Ok.
- Possession– Byatt Finished 6/29/14. Maybe I would have been more into it if I hadn’t been moving.
- The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God – Keller Finished 7/27/14. Good, but nothing earth-shattering.
- Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus – Fitzpatrick and Thompson – Finished 1/17/14. Read my review here.
- Praying for Boys: Asking God for the Things They Need Most – McGlothlin – Finished 3/10/14. I think I will be referring to this one a lot!
- Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood – Fay & Fay Finished 3/30/14. Practical.
- Parenting in the Pew: Guiding Your Children into the Joy of Worship – Castleman Finished 4/12/14. Good, but hoping for something a little more practical.
Counseling & Adoption:
- Kitchen Table Counseling: A Practical and Biblical Guide for Women Helping Others – Volkhardt & Cook Finished 8/12/14. Practical, helpful for the lay counselor. Post here.
- Women Helping Women: A Biblical Guide to Major Issues Women Face – Fitzpatrick Glanced through this one, decided not to read after reading above book.
- Instruments in the Redeemers Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change – Tripp Finished 3/30/14. Top-notch. Read my review here.
- The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family– Purvis, Cross, & Sunshine Finished 10/1/14. Helpful for non-adopted children as well.
- Your Church is Too Safe: Why Following Christ Turns the World Upside Down – Buchanan Finished 6/11/14. Challenging.
- What Women Fear: Walking in Faith that Transforms – Smith Finished 7/6/14. Good stuff.
- The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door – Pathak & Runyon Finished 2/15/14. Read my review here.
- The Cost of Discipleship – Bonhoeffer Finished 6/12/14. Academic.
- Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church – Wright Finished 12/4/14. Thought-provoking and academic.
- Woe is I: The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English – O’Conner Finished 12/28/14. Ok. I know that I need to improve my written/spoken English, but the tone of this book sometimes bothered me.
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead – Brown. Finished 4/29/14. Loved it. My review here.
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants – Gladwell. Finished 8/21/14. Totally worth the several month wait-list at the library. Post here.
- The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential – Maxwell Finished 10/27. A thought-provoking read, but I think I had expected too much.